Thanks to the proximity to Machu Pichu, eating vegan in Cuzco is really easy. There are tons of tourists here, and therefore, many options.
I found this vegan sesame bar for 1 sole. I packed several to keep as a handy snack while hiking or traveling around Cuzco.
On the Cruz Del Sur bus from Lima to Cuzco, the vegetarian option was vegan and very tasty. Simply sautéed mushrooms and some vegetable rice.
Vegan breakfast at El Encuentro, Cuzco
At Prasada – a small hole in the wall spot (literally!) serving very simple, delicious veg fare. Anything can be made vegan. Just ask!
My sandwich at Prasada’s
Lentil burger at Prasada’s
Veg offerings at the supermarket, for those with a kitchen
Great breakfast drinks. Just mix hot water or soy milk. Tastes great with hot water!
One of my favorite finds: at the Chinchero market, a few ladies sell lunch for other market vendors. They bring in their food in huge pots and sell them. This was a plate of simply cooked beans and broad beans, seasoned perhaps only with salt. They had some salsa picante for those who wanted it, and I wanted it the most. 🙂
Very nice juice shop in the plaza. But this picture is only to remind you that fresh fruit and fresh fruit juice is everywhere for the hungry vegan.
Vegan friendly restaurants in Cuzco
- Maikhana indian restaurant, Av El Sol 106 2nd floor. At avenida el sol and the main square
- El Encuentro: 6 sole dinners at Santa Catalina Ancho 384
- Govinda – on Saphy street
- Prasada – 152 Choquechacha (choquechacha also has a couple of other veggie spots)
- Om Cusco, Calle Sapphy 661. Run by the folks at Maikhana. All proceeds go to charity to feed poor children. Pay whatever you want.